News...LATEST!!!‎ > ‎

Late point for Gort see U14s lose

posted 4 May 2012, 15:51 by Unknown user

It took a late late winner for Gort U14 hurlers to see them take the spoils in this group match played this lovely (but windy!) evening in Faiche Padraic, Kinvara. This was Kinvara's second group match after last weeks opening win over Meelick-Eyrecourt, and they just fell short in this great tussle between two dedicated and spirited teams from two clubs whose rivally goes back a long way.

Gort started the brighter and stole an early lead with one of their earliest attacks. But it took the Kinvara side several minutes to settle into this game, and one of their first attacks was rewarded with a fine point from play from the stick of Liam Byrne. Conor O'Shea followed up with that shortly after with a superb effort from a tight angle. Kinvara were now leading 0-2 to 0-1, but it didnt take long for Gort to regain control when Brian Mullins was allowed solo through and he sent a shot to the back of the net, despite the best effort of Kinvara goalie Peter Mulleady. But Kinvara responded bravely and before the interval they tacked on four white flags, including two Liam Byrne frees, plus other two fine efforts from Conor O'Shea, inluding another from an even tighter angle than his first. Gort were now finding themselves two points behind, but reduced the gap before the break with they pointed a free.
Half-time: Kinvara 0-6, Gort 1-2.

The third quarter of this match belonged to Gort who came out at half-time with great intent. Although they hit four early wides, including a couple of good goal chances, they soon drew level from a free, and then went one up by scoring from play. The Kinvara middle sector was struggling at this stage, but they soon again found their form. More ball began to get inside to our forward line, and with 6 minutes left they won a free on the '21 towards the sideline. Conor O'Shea sent in a hard shot that was blocked, but only for Liam Byrne to pounce and strike home for a green flag under intense pressure. The score now read Kinvara 1-6, Gort 1-4. But that didnt last long. Again, Gort's Brian Mullins was allowed solo in, and he duly accepted the invite and struck home for a goal, and a one pont lead for Gort. 
Time was now running out, and after missing a couple of frees, Kinvara levelled with only two minutes remaining when Conor O'Shea pointed well from placed ball.
The match was now on a knife edge with both sides searching for the win. Up the field the ball went for Gort, and they took the opportunity to send over a point.
The match was now in injury time, and Kinvara went searching for the equaliser, but some brave efforts were only matched by some fine solid defending from Gort. So, the final whistle went for disappointment for Kinvara, while jubilation for Gort.

Well done to both sides for a sporting and entertaining match. Kinvara will have to try and bounce back on Monday morning as we welcome Cappataggle for our third game. We were a much younger side on average to Gort, but matched them in every aspect. However, there was areas that the players will know themsleves that they can each improve on. For too long in the second half, and parts of the first, did we have players that simply went missing. Something that every side will punish if we dont improve on. No better time to show improvement than Mnday morning! 

Peter Mulleady, Jeff Stephens, Patrick O'Gallachoir, Seanie Cahill, Neil Huban, Keelan O'Rourke, Cathal O'Dwyer, Colm Keady-Taabal, Brendan Connolly, Gerard Linnane, Conor O'Shea 0-4 (0-1 free), Conor McGourty, Thomas Connolly, Liam Byrne 1-3 (0-2 frees), Luke Connors.
Subs: Simon Whelan for C. McGourty, J. McHugh.