Four minute spell before half-time proves decisive for Beagh

posted 4 May 2014, 05:26 by Garret Byrne   [ updated 4 May 2014, 05:27 ]
SHC Round 1, in Kenny Park, Sat 3rd May 2014


It was a wet evening in Kenny Park as these two South Galway neighbours clashed in Round 1 of the SHC. There was very little to separate the two sides in the general balance of play, and on the scoreboard they matched each other only for a 4 minute spell for Beagh in first half injury time. During that time they scored 1-2, and that 5 point tally proved to be the final winning margin.

Kinvara had to start without Aidan Moylan (injured), David Huban (injured) and Ger Mahon (whose flight back from London was delayed), while we lost Stevie Moylan after 10 minutes from injury, and captain Colm Burke also had to be replaced after playing the first half with an ankle injury. All this paved the way for younger lads to come in with Kinvara finishing the match with four minors and two more 19 year olds on the field. Those six lads all performed impressively with three on them making their actual senior debuts.

Beagh opened the scoring with a point from a free, but Kinvara shortly responded with a fine effort from midfielder Stevie Moylan. Beagh had the better of the next exchanges and two more points had them leading 0-3 to 0-1 after 7 mins. Kinvara had levelled matters by the 17th minute with a Conor Kavanagh brace, one from play and another from a free. Two more Beagh points followed, although Ronan Kilkelly brought back the score to 0-5 to 0-4 on the 20th minute. That was Kinvara's last score of the first half, although both Cathal Connolly and Ronan Kilkelly were unlucky with goal chances. Beagh were now on top and causing plenty of problems for Kinvara and led 0-7 to 0-4 as the first half entered injury time. A Kinvara goal chance was then squashed and up with Beagh to raise the match's first green flag. They then followed promptly with two more white flags deep into injury time and this 4 minute spell was to prove decisive in the final outcome. 
Half-time: Beagh 1-9, Kinvara 0-4.

Kinvara came out in the second half and immediately reduced the margin with a Conor Kavanagh free. However, for whenever Kinvara scored, the Beagh side had always a reply. The margins swung from 7 points to 8 points right until the 20th minute with 10 minutes remaining. During this time Kinvara had points from Tom Donovan, Conor Kavanagh, Cathal Connolly, Conor Kavanagh ('65), but each time Beagh had a reply. 
With ten minutes remaining the score read Beagh 1-14 to Kinvara 0-9. 
Kinvara needed a goal, and with 10 minutes left on the clock the avenue for that arrived when we were awarded a 21. Up came goalie Colm Callanan and he smashed it to the net to lift the Kinvara supporters. He was called into action in his own goal shortly after and saved expertly at the expense of a 65, which Beagh converted. Conor Kavanagh had another brace of points to again bring the margin back to 5 points.
Kinvara needed another goal, but unfortunately it never came. Conor Whelan was very effective in this period and on another day could have had a hattrick of goals, with the Beagh goalie proving stubborn to past. Conor did manage a point from play, as did sub Ger Mahon, but Beagh again always had a reply with two more of their own. 
The final whistle blew as Beagh kept the margin at five points to win 1-18 to 1-13.

Kinvara will regret the lack of concentration at the end of the first half, but in fairness Beagh are a good side, and caused us problems throughout. On the positive side for Kinvara, we did battle hard and won the second half. We never gave up and matched Beagh in many sectors. It hard to name individual players so we will reserve it to simply mention the six 17-19 year olds (Tadhg Reynolds, Eanna Linnane, Ronan Kilkelly, Conor Whelan, Shane Byrne and Ollie Nilan) who never shyed from the challenge. Three of them made their senior debuts and did not look out of place at all.
All others worked hard and played their part, putting in huge effort, exemplified by captain Colm Burke who, although injured, was willing to give it his all.  

Colm Callanan 1-0, Alan Leech, Brian Carroll, Tadhg Reynolds, Colm Burke, Shane Kavanagh, Shane Quinn, Eanna Linnane, Stevie Moylan 0-1, Niall Bermingham, Tom Donovan 0-1, Ronan Kilkelly 0-1, Conor Whelan 0-1, Cathal Connolly 0-1, Conor Kavanagh 0-5 (0-2f, 0-1 '65).
Subs: Ollie Nilan for S. Moylan (10 mins), Shane Byrne for C. Burke (h-t), Ger Mahon for N. Bermingham (40 mins), James O'Hara, Peter Mahon, Daragh Kilkelly, Dara Smith, David Burke, Ger Linnane, Mark Kavanagh, Mark Bermingham, Aidan Moylan (injured), David Huban (injured).