Kinvara's second half collapse!

posted 19 Jun 2012, 01:30 by Unknown user   [ updated 19 Jun 2012, 04:01 ]

Local side Moycullen pulled off a super second half performance to march to victory in this opening group match in this years U13 B Hurling Championship.

The Kinvara players will have to look back themselves and wonder how they let this game slip from their grasp. After three minutes of the second half, they led by 2-3 to 0-4, and looked to be in a position to take the two points. But it was not to be, and a combination of some very slack marking, indiscipline and general poor play led to Moycullen being allowed back into the game and to completely outplay their opponents in the second half.

The first half started with Moycullen opening the scoring from a pointed free. Kinvara were quick to reply with a point of their own from a Gerard Linnane free. But Moycullen were to take advantage of some missed Kinvara scoring opportunities, and they tagged on two more points to lead 0-3 to 0-1. But up next came a Kinvara purple patch. First captain Colm Keady-Taabal soloed through the defence and shot to the back of the net. Cathal ODwyer then raised a white flag from play, and then Gerrd Linanne struck a 21 yard free for a goal. Kinvara now had a 2-2 to 0-3 lead. Before the interval, Moycullen were to point another free to leave the half-time scores reading: Kinvara 2-2, Moycullen 0-4.

Kinvara started brightly on the resumption with Colm Keady-Taabal stretching the lead to five points after he pointed from play.  But from then on it became the Moycullen show, as they stepped up a gear to outscore Kinvara by 4-6 to 0-1 in the remaining stages. They first struck for two well taken goals to take the intitial lead. Gerard Linnane did pull Kinvara level with a point from play as the two sides were now both on 2-4 apiece. But that was the end of the Kivnara challenge as their play collapsed and they allowed Moycullen the freedom to take control of this game. The Moycullen lads struck for another 2 goals and 6 points without reply, as they fully deserved their win.

The Kinvara lads will no doubt be disappointed with their performance and will have to take more responsibility on the field of play. One main area to improve is surely discipline. In the first half, we had two scorable frees awarded to us but resulted in the referee throwing in the ball due to indiscipline by the same Kinvara player on both occasions. Also, too often our players forgot that they were playing a match, as they seem to disappear and not just play their own positions, but neglected to cover back in defence when Moycullen were attacking.

In saying that, we did have some good play, and will need to work on that for the next day. Also, against us was the fact that 6 of this Kinvara side are U11 this year, whereas Moycullen had no U11 on their side. They were a fine strong side, had no shortage of skill, and we wish them the best of luck in the rest of the campaigin.

Next up for Kinvara is against Ballindereen in Ballindereen this coming Thursday. Hopefully if our older players take more responsibility and our younger players get stuck in more, then maybe we will compete for the full 40 minutes.

Kinvara side:
Peter Mulleady, Simon Whelan, Neil Huban, Sean Cahill, Conaill Larrisey, Brendan Connolly, Darren Kilkelly, Cathal O’Dwyer, Donal Keely, Patrick Byrne, Colm Keady-Taabal, Brendan Connolly, Jake Comyn, Gerard Linnane, Thomas Connolly.
Subs: Ciaran ODonoghue for C. Keady (injured), Karim Mullery for S. Whelan (Injured), Ronan Gaughan for C. Larrisey, Damien McHugh, Luke Connors (injured).